Friday, April 25, 2008

A Yogini by any other name...

I was flipping through one of my old Vogues (yes, again!) and noticed for the first time a Saks Fifth Avenue advert, featuring 'actress and yogini' Fernanda Torres wearing this Carolina Herrera cropped jacket.



Now, I checked it out, and the cuffs on that? Fox fur. Not fake. Real.

As I understand the word yogi, or for women, yogini, it means 'one who has attained yoga'. That's why I have taken to saying yoga practitioner!

If you have attained yoga, you are by definition enlightened, and therefore have practiced and mastered all the limbs of yoga, including ahimsa - non-harming. Which precludes wearing fur. This actress is not a yogini. She is just some chick who does yoga poses to stay buff.

5 comments:

Pink Heels said...

I agree with your statement. For many, yoga is simply a trendy exercise session that allows them to feel as if they are doing 'something good.' It is superficial and lacking.

Unfortunately, I am starting to see this trend amongst yoga instructors and studios. The emphasis is on making as much money as humanly possible instead of focusing on the principles.

Yoga is starting to lose its foundation and it is sad to watch.

Marilyn P. Sushi said...

Hmmm, that's disappointing.

Anonymous said...

Agreed. That is highly disappointing.

Unknown said...

haha, I completely agree. My yoga teacher in India always spoke (somewhat angrily) about the superficiality of western interpretations of yoga--where many use it to get a "good work out" or tone up for the beach and completely miss that yoga by definition is a spiritual exercise-or lifestyle really. Actually my yoga teacher called it "incercise"--you look deeply inward. For me, the asanas are a way to connect with something divine, whether it's God, your body, your breath, or all of the above. It comes with a connection and respect for life. Thanks for touching on this.

Mary said...

I don't agree with wearing fur at all but I have to admit to still wearing leather shoes and have leather bags. But everyday now I am finding alternatives to leather (or any animal based product) since I have become more aware and a little more proactive. But, I still wear what I have. Does that make me a bad yogini? I've seen many arguments about this exact type of thing. I don't want to judge because I'm not perfect either but I try to be the best person I can be :-)