Monday, May 21, 2007

And so to the knitting

Soooo, bet you've all been wondering whether I actually did any knitting after threatening to. Well, yes, yes I did. And I kinda liked it, so I did some more. Weird thing is, although as a kid I never got the hang of it, this time round I didn't even have to wait for my mom to teach me, I just picked up the book my husband bought me - The Cool Girl's Guide to Knitting, by Nicki Trench, and jumped in. My mom has since had to help with quite a number of things, but I can, nonetheless, knit. And I taught my husband!

In the last few weeks, I have knitted a scarf for Husband, a scarf for me, a cardigan for my best friend's baby (hope she isn't reading this since I haven't given it to her yet!) and I am halfway through a bunny from Kate Gilbert's awesome pattern. Now, chances are I will never get to taking pictures of all this, so I visited Flickr and voila:

This is how my bunny currently looks:

prebunny, originally uploaded by sassydotnet.

This is more-or-less how he will look when I give him to my nephew on his birthday.
(But in variegated blue)


brown bunny, originally uploaded by pinprick.

Now why on earth can I suddenly knit? Methinks it's for the same reason I can suddenly catch a ball - the yoga. More specifically, the improved proprioception as a result of the yoga. I like to say that this means my brain and my body are finally on speaking terms!

According to Wikipedia, proprioception
is the sense of the relative position of neighbouring parts of the body. Unlike the six exteroceptive senses (sight, taste, smell, touch, hearing, and balance) by which we perceive the outside world, proprioception is an interoceptive sense that provides feedback solely on the status of the body internally. It is the sense that indicates whether the body is moving with required effort, as well as where the various parts of the body are located in relation to each other.

Improved proprioception makes you feel more 'in your body', more embodied. And it means that anything requiring co-ordination between brain and body gets easier, including driving, dancing, asana, knitting...

My knitting isn't perfect. In fact, that cardigan is a little wonky. But I made it, by hand, with love. And that gives it value. Just like my asana practice is often a little wonky, but I come to it with enthusiasm and faith. And that gives it value.

To paraphrase Arundhati Roy in her 2003 talk, Come September, doing just one thing makes your brain grow in one direction like some tumour. I think I am at risk of a yoga tumour, so now I can expand in other directions.

11 comments:

Recy Vintage & Creations said...

That is so great that you picked up knitting and the things you have made are so cute; those bunnies are just adorable. I taught myself how to knit some years ago but it hurts my hands too badly now. I no longer do it. But, I liked it when I did. My brother's girlfriend is a knitting fiend. She knits up a storm and even keeps up a knitting blog! She is very good at it and LOVES it. I'm so glad you enjoy it too! Love the parallel you made to yoga.

Namaste.

xo,

Karen Beth :)

Marilyn P. Sushi said...

I have always wanted to learn how to knit but the last thing I need is more unfinished projects taking up space in my bedroom. :)

Nadine Fawell said...

Yes, I am discovering that the finishing up is the problem - have just finished knitting the bunny, now I need to sew and stuff him...
Karen Beth, I followed your link to your almost sister in law's blog - love it, and her projects are gorgeous! I am sorry the knitting hurts your hands too much. You will just have to get the Knitting Blonde to supply you all you heart's desires!

yogaglamgirl said...

I think that brown bunny is soooo adorable. and I really love the profile pictures of you, Nadine. Your dark hair and light skin is so striking.

KK said...

I LOVE the bunnies! When you gift the cardigan, will you put up a photo of the baby wearing it?

Wonkiness is an inherent part of love. Love isn't perfect, so neither is anything that we do with love, but it is still inherently good and full of value. The world definitely needs more wonkiness!

Kimberly said...

yay! I've always wanted to learn how to knit, that will be my next project soon. so inspiring!

Nadine Fawell said...

GlamGirl, thank you! I really like your picture too, so fun and spontaneous.
Kiki, that bit about wonkiness being part of love - so nice, and now I think I am going to have to post a pic of the baby wearing the cardigan (when he or she is born.)
Kimberly, I can't wait to read about your knitting exploits - then you will be as close as dammit to Ms Perfect!

KarenQ said...

Very cute bunny! I hope it turns out well! I've knitted mostly scarves, seeing that it's the easiest! Still trying to finish the one that I started awhile ago with patterns... And when I moved house another one that was still on the needle came undone so... Need to start from scratch!!! Very annoying! But knitting I find has the same effect as yoga, calming and peaceful! except the work is concentrated in only one area.. :P

Mary said...

How gorgeous are you! Can't wait to see the finished product :-) Quite a few of my friends have been knitting madly too LOL. I can see the addictive side to it, like making gifts.

fin said...

That bunny is adorable!

KK said...

The knitting is so great that I'd love to hear more about the cool things you do, so consider yourself tagged in the Eight Great Things bloganza! My list is up, and I know all of us can't wait to read yours...